Thursday, August 31, 2006

Synonyms for "Cheap," Compliments of my Office


At the beginning of summer I decided that I was spending way too much money on iced coffee, so I decided to start making it at home and bringing it to work with me. I brought in an ice cube tray and some half 'n half, and I was in business. Every other day or so, I brew a pot of coffee before bed and put it in the refrigerator. In the morning I bring some to work with me in a recycled plastic water bottle. It kind of looks like poop water from the exotic springs of Figi. (I don't work for Figi's competitor, but wouldn't it be funny if I did? On that note, Aquafina - are you hiring?)

When I arrive to work, I take out my little ice cube tray, pour my coffee in a glass and add my half 'n half. I'd say it saves me about $20 a week. Since I'm cheap, this is definitely worth it.

My coworkers' reactions to my little production are not mixed:

"Oh, how clever. Coffee is really expensive."
"That's so smart. I should do that."
"You're probably saving a lot of money."
"How frugal of you."
"Very economical."
"You're making me feel bad for buying my coffee in the morning."
"That is such a good idea."

Of course, the look on their faces, combined with the fact that no one else has started doing it, says it all: "You are a cheap, cheap bitch."

Why yes I am (I just didn't know there were so many kind ways to say it).

6 comments:

Matt Brand said...

you shouldn't drink and work anyway

Anonymous said...

mm, sounds like jealousy to me. afterall, you're saving $1,120 a year, so when you show up in your new pradas (or one step closer to living sans student loans, your call) they can all suck it.

Anonymous said...

You should heat up some of that coffee and throw it in their faces.

Anonymous said...

That is how the rich get rich...being cheep! Your on your way to that yacht you've got your eye on:).

CDog

Nicoel said...

Yeah, those comments samck of bitterness.

So you're cheap, who cares? You're cutting corners where you won't notice the difference (coffee is coffee for the most part, unless it's instant/really bad)

bufflo said...

HAHAHAHA! That's like when I was a kid and sometimes my parents would send me to the movies with homemade popcorn.

Wow, you have a lot of defending supporters here, but I'm laughing, at you, not with you.

Well, at least you're still wearing striped shirts. Or so I hope.