Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Chosen and I get dissed*. Again.

Chosen and I both submitted Open Letters to McSweeney's.

Chosen sent his in about 5 months ago and I sent mine in about 2 months ago.

Chosen brought it up several times, wondering why they hadn't contacted him.

I told him, "Yeah, that's weird. They usually diss my ass right away."

Chosen went as far as to hypothesize that McSweeney's might not even be doing open letters anymore.

I countered that, "Yes they are, silly. I just saw a new Open Letter to Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer the other day." It's true. I really did.

Well two days ago the mystery unfolded when I received the following email:

GiGi:

I apologize for the extreme tardiness of this reply. It isn’t the way I want the website to do business and I’m ashamed that I let it happen under my watch.

I’m sorry as well that I’m going to pass on these for the site. I do hope you won’t hold it against us and will submit again in the future.

Best,

John Warner
Website Editor

I promptly sent it to Chosen and he wrote back with this:

"Good to see they personalized the response. Oh, wait...."

Chosen:

I apologize for the extreme tardiness of this reply. It isn¹t the way I want
the website to do business and I¹m ashamed that I let it happen under my
watch.

I¹m sorry as well that I¹m going to pass on this for the site. I do hope you
won¹t hold it against us and will submit again in the future.

Best,

John Warner
Website Editor

Very creative those guys are over at McSweeney's. Very creative, indeed.

*A quick site search reveals that McSweeney's has indeed eliminated their open letters section. So, instead of admitting fault for once hosting a mediocre section, they opted to instead make us feel like we're not good enough (A tear departs my eye). Bastards.