Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Really Good Alternative.


My new project is not something that I can talk about nor anything that is official. However, it has been a big part of my decision to move/not move/move to Chicago. Specifically, I’m waiting to see if anything happens with it before I quit my job and look for another one. Well, that’s not exactly true and herein lies the problem: I have been looking for other jobs and stressing myself out over it for no reason. Stressing myself out because I know that I don’t want to work a corporate job if I don’t have to, and stressing myself out because I know that if I do get said corporate job, I’ll again be juggling this important yet vague project that means the world to me with another shitty, full time job that is a waste of my time (in every sense of the phrase, aside from the monetary one). I say that a corporate job is a waste of my time only because I don't belong in the corporate world. Some people do and that's fine. I'm just not one of those people. Of course, the catch 22 is that I'm also not rich and I have no savings. If I want to survive, I have to work or find a really good alternative--which brings me back to the point of this post. The really good alternative.

This past Saturday around, oh, 2:00 EST time (even though I was on Central) I had an epiphany. Here she is: If my little project gets purchased, I will not have to look for a job. Not because I’ll make a lot of money (because, honestly, I probably won’t make much), but rather because I will do the following…

Quit my job. Move into my parents’ house (which is very nice but, sigh, located in small town Midwest) and work on the project full time, thus possibly even finishing it! Meanwhile, I’ll give my pops whatever money I get from the project and have him invest it. He does some kind of shady investment stuff with a return of up to 20% in as little as four months (not guaranteed, but from what I’ve seen, definitely guaranteed). From there, I finish my little deal within six months to a year, living rent free, visiting Dave on the weekends (only 2 ½ hours away by car) and hopefully make more money off the project’s, ahem, success. Only then do I move to Chicago with my money, which has by this point, almost doubled; buy a house and start on project number two, whatever that is.

For a while I had no confidence in this project, but as of late, I’ve come to think that, hey, it’s actually pretty good. I could be totally wrong, but either way, realizing that I don’t have to look for a job while working full time AND working on said project, is pretty damn relieving. If I find out that my project has no merit, at least I tried. At that point, I will be bitching some more about phone interviews with corporate zombies.

Breathe.

Was that good for you? It was totally good for me...

1 comment:

Ben said...

Good for you. As you may have noticed, I've recently discovered my distaste for the corporate life. I'm looking forward to reading how it works out. It sounds much better than the original plan.

Come check out my new digs!